Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2015
01. Review every book I read: Reading mostly on my Kindle makes it way too easy to go on to the next book before writing a review of a book I’ve just finished. I skipped a lot of reviews in 2014 and while no one else cares, I do. If I’m at work and finish a book at lunch, there won’t be anything I can do about writing a review before starting the next one, but I need to write it when I get home.
02. Catch up with the ARCs I have and resist requesting too many at once: A lot of bloggers start out requesting too many ARCS right off the bat. I didn’t do that. I didn’t want to get overwhelmed, so when I first started on Netgalley, I only requested a few at a time. I was a good nine months into blogging before I started accepting too many review requests sent to me by authors and requesting too many from Netgalley. I’ve been doing a lot better lately, but I still have way too many unread ARCs and I need to catch up. My Netgalley ratio isn’t even that bad (74%), but it bothers me that I haven’t reviewed books I was sent/approved for last SPRING. I need to either review them or make the decision not to.
03. Cross-post my reviews: I’m “supposed” to be posting my reviews on Goodreads and linking to them on Tumblr and Pinterest. I’ve slacked off so much this year. A few weeks ago, people started repinning one of my reviews on Pinterest. I had — and still have — no idea why that one review from over a year earlier suddenly became so popular, but it has now been pinned 83 times. Most of my pins have NO repins. Checking into it made me visit the site more often and I’m now using it a lot more than I had been. I ended up catching up with both Tumblr and Pinterest links to my reviews, but I still have to work on Goodreads. Once I catch up on that, I plan to start posting reviews to Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I also need to work on my review archive.
04. Reply to comments in a timely manner: If you read last week’s post on revisiting my 2014 goals, you know that this one is a repeat. It’s something I really need to work on so I’m putting it on my 2015 list too. I love getting comments! I read them immediately. I just really suck at replying.
05. Get back on track with Middle Grade Madness and Retro Reads: My plan was to alternate a middle grade post (usually a review) with a vintage review on Thursdays. I haven’t been keeping up with either of them. No one cares but me, but I still want to do it.
06. Participate in more swaps: I had SO MUCH fun with the 12 Days of Christmas Swap from Chaotic Goddess Swaps. I know they do different swaps throughout the year and there are other swap sites too. I also want to do more than one next Christmas. I didn’t sign up for The Broke and the Bookish’s Secret Santa and I regretted it, so I’ll definitely be doing that one, assuming they do it again.
07. Complete my 2015 challenges: I didn’t do very well with the 2014 ones, but signing up for challenges that other people are hosting will make me feel more accountable. I have only posted signups for two so far, but I have at least three more to be posted soon.
08. Keep up with scheduling posts in advance: November’s Blog Ahead was the kick in the pants I needed to get started with this. Now I just need to keep it up.
09. Read more books that I already own: I spend so much money on books that I never get around to reading. And these are books that I really want to read! I just don’t read them, and I should.
10. Purge books: Shocking, I know, but I need the space (for more books). I usually do this every spring when the used book sales in my area put out their collection bins. I need to get organized ahead of time so that when I first spot the bins, I have books to put in them. I will be donating books I bought but no longer plan to read and books that I have already read. I rarely reread, so there’s no reason to keep most books after I’ve read them.